CLARKSVILLE, IN (January 4, 2023) – The start of the new year has come and gone, but the Town of Clarksville and its residents are still awaiting answers as to the cause of a carbon monoxide emergency over the holidays.
Four people were taken to the hospital on Christmas after dealing with high levels of carbon monoxide within their homes. Dozens of other residents reported similar issues along with abnormal operations of their gas appliances such as water heaters and stoves. Clarksville Fire Chief Brandon Skaggs says his crews responded to more than 100 calls related to the incident, and that the New Albany and Jeffersonville Fire Departments responded to similar calls.
CenterPoint Energy released a statement last week claiming that the issues were the result of “improper appliance venting,” and that our freezing temperatures were also a contributing factor. Unsatisfied with that response, Indiana State Representatives Rita Fleming (Clarksville) and Ed Clere (New Albany) called on the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) to launch an investigation into the carbon monoxide issues in southern Indiana.
During Tuesday night’s Clarksville Town Council meeting, Representative Fleming told the Town Council that the IURC is currently reviewing all of CenterPoint Energy’s records surrounding this recent incident, and that she plans to meet with IURC officials on Thursday to get an update on their findings. Until then, Representative Fleming is urging anyone who suffered damage to appliances or received medical treatment as a result of the carbon monoxide issues to save any receipts or documentation related to the incident.
“Our residents want answers as to what caused the dangerous carbon monoxide issues which hit our community over the holidays,” said Council President Ryan Ramsey. “The Clarksville Town Council will do everything in its power to get the answers our residents deserve, and we remain committed to holding those responsible accountable.”